3 family members sentenced to life in prison in the 2020 shooting death of a Family Dollar security guard over a dispute over a face mask | CNN


Three family members who were charged with murder in the shooting death of a Family Dollar security guard in Flint, Michigan, in May 2020, have been sentenced to life in prison, court records show.

The security guard, Calvin Munerlyn, was shot after telling a customer that he needed to wear a mask in the store, prosecutors said. The altercation occurred when a state executive order required retail employees and customers to wear masks to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

Sharmel Lashe Teague, Larry Edward Teague and Ramonyea Travon Bishop were convicted of murder and felony firearms charges in connection with the shooting, sentencing documents show. Larry Teague was also convicted of a habitual felon offense.

Sharmel, 47, and Larry Teague, 47, are married and Bishop, 26, is Sharmel’s son, according to the Genesee County Prosecutor’s Office.

A jury sentenced each of them to life in prison on the murder charge and two years in prison on the firearms charge, according to the sentencing document filed in Genesee County circuit court.

Munerlyn argued with Sharmel Teague after telling her daughter she needed to wear a mask in the store, police said, citing surveillance footage.

Although her daughter left the store, Sharmel Teague began yelling at the security guard “who then told her to leave the store and directed a cashier not to serve her,” prosecutors said in 2020.

Sharmel Teague left the Family Dollar. But about 20 minutes later, Bishop and Larry Teague arrived, prosecutors said. Larry Teague yelled at Munerlyn, saying the guard had disrespected his wife.

Bishop then shot Munerlyn in the head, prosecutors said, and the security guard later died at a hospital.

An attorney for Larry Teague would not comment on the sentence when contacted by CNN. CNN has also reached out to lawyers for Sharmel Teague and Bishop, but has not heard back.

Sharmel Teague’s daughter, Brya Bishop, was charged with tampering with evidence, lying to police investigating a violent crime and being an accessory to a felony, prosecutors said. She was sentenced in November to serve probation, state correction records show.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *